Fight for the Future Community Code of Conduct
“Fight for the Future” in this document refers to any space organized by Fight for the Future. “The administrators” refers to the owners and administrators on the Slack team (a list is available at the top of the Team Directory) as well as any Fight for the Future staff member present at an in-person event.
Fight for the Future is dedicated to providing a harassment-free experience for everyone. We do not tolerate harassment of participants in any form.
This code of conduct applies to all Fight for the Future spaces, including public channels, private channels, and direct messages in Slack, as well as any in-person actions organized by Fight for the Future. Anyone who violates this code of conduct may be sanctioned or expelled from these spaces at the discretion of the administrators.
Some Fight for the Future spaces may have additional rules in place, which will be made clearly available to participants. Participants are responsible for knowing and abiding by these rules.
- Offensive comments related to gender, gender identity and expression, sexual orientation, disability, mental illness, neuro(a)typicality, physical appearance, age, body size, race, or religion
- Unwelcome comments regarding a person’s lifestyle choices and practices, including those related to food, health, parenting, drugs, and employment.
- Deliberate misgendering or use of “dead” or rejected names
- Gratuitous or off-topic sexual images or behaviour in spaces where they’re not appropriate
- Physical contact and simulated physical contact (eg, textual descriptions like “hug” or “backrub”) without consent or after a request to stop.
- Threats of violence
- Incitement of violence towards any individual, including encouraging a person to commit suicide or to engage in self-harm
- Deliberate intimidation
- Stalking or following
- Harassing photography or recording, including logging online activity for harassment purposes
- Sustained disruption of discussion
- Unwelcome sexual attention
- Pattern of inappropriate social contact, such as requesting/assuming inappropriate levels of intimacy with others
- Continued one-on-one communication after requests to cease
- Deliberate “outing” of any aspect of a person’s identity without their consent except as necessary to protect vulnerable people from intentional abuse
- Publication of non-harassing private communication
Fight for the Future prioritizes marginalized people’s safety over privileged people’s comfort. The administrators will not act on complaints regarding:
- “Reverse”-isms, including “reverse racism,” “reverse sexism,” and “cisphobia”
- Reasonable communication of boundaries, such as “leave me alone,” “go away,” or “I’m not discussing this with you.”
- Communicating in a “tone” you don’t find congenial
- Criticizing racist, sexist, cissexist, or otherwise oppressive behavior or assumptions
Remember: governments have no right to take away your freedom of expression, but that does not mean you are entitled to anyone's attention. Nor does it mean we do not have a right to maintain a space where all feel safe from harassment.
If you are being harassed by a member of Fight for the Future, notice that someone else is being harassed, or have any other concerns, please contact any administrator directly via DM in Slack, or face-to-face at in-person events. If face-to-face makes you feel uncomfortable, use the organizer’s telephone number or email, which will be provided in messages leading up to the event.
This code of conduct applies to Fight for the Future spaces, but if you are being harassed by a member of Fight for the Future outside our spaces, we still want to know about it. We will take all good-faith reports of harassment by Fight for the Future members, especially the administrators, seriously. This includes harassment outside our spaces and harassment that took place at any point in time. The abuse team reserves the right to exclude people from Fight for the Future based on their past behavior, including behavior outside Fight for the Future spaces and behavior towards people who are not in Fight for the Future.
In order to protect volunteer admins from abuse and burnout, we reserve the right to reject any report we believe to have been made in bad faith. Reports intended to silence legitimate criticism may be deleted without response.
We will respect confidentiality requests for the purpose of protecting victims of abuse. At our discretion, we may publicly name a person about whom we’ve received harassment complaints, or privately warn third parties about them, if we believe that doing so will increase the safety of Fight for the Future members or the general public. We will not name harassment victims without their affirmative consent.
Participants asked to stop any harassing behavior are expected to comply immediately.
If a participant engages in harassing behavior, the administrators may take any action they deem appropriate, up to and including expulsion from all Fight for the Future spaces and identification of the participant as a harasser to other Fight for the Future members or the general public.